Whats your Statement

I still remember my school principal used to fire students who were not in proper uniform. Infact, at times he used to lose his cool and beat them. He often would use the sentence "sab kabutaro me ek kauva" meaning "one crow in a flock of pigeons" 
for students who were not in uniform. I always made sure I dont get to hear this sentence. 
Then I moved to Engineering and here also there was a Dress Code ( Blue Jeans, White Shirt, Black shoes). I never really understood the purpose behind this. In fact, we all felt " what the hell!!!. We end in the same dress code daily whereas this is the time of life where you try anything and everything. 
I joined an IT/ITES organization after my graduation. On my first day, I was handover my offer letter and with there was a booklet. The first page on the book was about "Code of Conduct" and there were again these 2 damn words "Dress Code".
I thought damn...from childhood till a professional, I never got the freedom to wear what I like. There are always restrictions. At times in the name of Uniform and at times in the name of Dress Code.
Once I was having dinner with my friends and this topic of Dress Code came up. Everybody was of the same opinion as me except for one of my friends. His remarks cleared everything about importance of Dress Code in my mind. And Guess what he said. He said


"Your Dress Code is the Statement you make about yourself"


To convince about his point, he said imagine there are two envelopes on a table. One is very beautifully decorated and packed and the other is completely torn,ugly envelope. Which one would you pick up if you are asked to...
I am sure you know the answer...


I realized the point is very simple. In todays service driven world, its very important to look skilled enough, capable enough, confident enough to convince our clients that we can deliver what we promise.


Read this interesting article about the Bharti-Zain deal to get a feel of what am trying to say.


So whats your statement today...

Post a Comment

4 Comments

  1. Really true i agree with your statement....i believe it is very important in every place like in schools dress code encourage equality among students especially those of lower socioeconomic statuses n it ensure sll student receive equal opportunities in the classroom...n in the work place dress codes convey a positive image and traditions that a company upholds...it do not mean wearing suits daily but whatever u wear u should look pleasing to the eyes even if u want to wear jeans there r some good ones which do give u formal look,,,,so, The first judgement makes is going to be based on what you are wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont agree totally... we should be dressed the way we feel comfortable. When we are comfortable with our attire, we are sure to look confident...
    Dress codes are school students, bartenders, waiters etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. My post was more about inappropriate dressing at work place. School students and other have uniforms and so does Army, navy and Police. The dress code is their identity and as I said their statement of profession.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome article,I think dresscode also says about your attitude towards life/work or any other occasion.

    ReplyDelete