Fix the Leaks

Since the last few days I have been the center of cateen jokes for my colleagues. I am teased by two of my colleagues saying their salary package clubbed together is less than mine. One of them is as experienced and as qualified as I am. Though this was a joke, it triggered me to do a realty check about myself. I tried to convince myself saying "I am in the domain which is in boom currently (IT in Telecom Sector) and so I am special and I am paid optimum".
But to be honest, I was not very convinced with these options. I started asking myself questions like Do I really deserve this pay? Am I really that qualified? My search for an answer came to an end when I read this quote

"A rising tide lifts even the leaky boats"

I felt the quote answers all my questions. The Indian economy and especially IT industry has been doing well since the last decade or so and most of the highly paid people are from IT industry. I realized the economic boom in India is for sure the rising tide. And so the numbers in my payslip also look very good.

But what when the tide resides?; the IT industry consolidates and loses its glory, where will I be?; what will be my fate?
I surely will sink if I do not realize if there are any leaks in my boat and then if I dont fix them.The questioning sessions I had with myself was my attempt to identify if there are any leaks in my boat. And if any, fix them before the tide goes down and I sink. Am sure, everybody understands that by fixing I mean enhancing my skills, improve my attitude if needed, be in the right social network. In short do whatever it takes to ensure that my career's boat keeps on floating and as an when there is a high tide, enjoy the high rise...

By the way, I read the quote in this article

Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. Good thought. :) 
    Always keep a track on your 'Intellectual assets'. If you think the salary is not justifying current assets, do some active efforts(Which I am very sure you do  :) ) to add new assets or enhance existing one. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandy for your comments...With the world getting competitive everyday, its inevitable to be on toes all the time...

    ReplyDelete